Tuesday, June 10, 2014

3 Street foods in one day - everyday ! Turkey part 4

This post is a part of a series of posts where I share my experiences during my recent trip to the exotic city of Istanbul, Turkey.


Exploring and wandering the streets of Istanbul became a daily routine for me. There was always so much going on around me. However I never felt lost in this city. Sometimes I just sat on a park bench or at a restaurant . I just observed the locals and tourists ,cars and  vendors around me. I tried to soak in the chaotic surroundings. The bustling city grew on me every single day. Apart from the history buff one thing that was remarkable was the street food. My observations led me to the conclusion that street food is a big part of the way of life here. It has its very own special place in Istanbul.

In a nutshell here are my top picks of street foods that I indulged in on a daily basis while in Istanbul - 

Kestane 

It was interesting to see the bright red carts everywhere on the streets. Curious I asked in English-- ''what is that ? " The answer was hand gesture stating no English. The cost was 5 lira for 100 grams displayed on a card in the cart. I decided to give it a try. It was the roasted chestnuts or ''KESTANE '' in Turkish. It is a popular snack especially on cold days. The weather while I was in Istanbul for just perfect for a handful of roasted chestnuts. I ate Kestane numerous times a day. The nuts are roasted on wood fire and this gives them a distinct taste. It was hard to resist the temptation especially when you passed a cart.
Handful Kestane


Misir 

There is no better street food than corn while walking along the Bosphorus. The corn is served either grilled/roasted or boiled. And of course with a dash of or even plenty of salt if you like.( P.S.  It reminded me of those college days with my friends at Rankala lake in my hometown. )
Me enjoying the corn


Salep

I had already heard about Salep prior to my trip. So when I saw a cart selling Salep I immediately ordered one. My first taste of the popular wintertime drink and it was the best. A generous dusting of cinnamon on top did not mask the taste of the drink itself. ( P.S. I did not ditch the Turkish tea even though I enjoyed the Salep )


Salep


So while in Istanbul the streets and narrower lanes, especially in the Sultan Ahmet area are worth exploring. You don't need to research online or check trip advisor reviews...the aroma will guide your way !

2 comments:

Valentine Day Project 3 - DIY Starbucks Coffee

 I am a huge Starbucks fan. If you have read my previous posts by now you know caffeine is an inseparable part of my daily life. I live by t...